Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Save the Bragging for Someone Who Cares!

Last week was more of a struggle than I expected. I didn't get much exercise in, but I am still optimistic. I have memberships in a few running groups on Facebook and Google+, but I have noticed more bragging and attention seeking than there should be. Then there is always a post about someone who completed their first halfthon, or marathon and how that individual is still struggling with weight, or diabetes, or a challenge or two, but at the same time that individual is 90 lbs lighter than the year, or two before when they first started getting in shape. Those stories give me hope.

How many people truly care about someone who is bragging?...OMG I didn't PR...it was horrible. I ran a halfthon at only 4 minutes per mile....You know what!...cry me a river.  I will still see you as an attention starved, self-centered, blow hard, needy...wow let me stop. There I go judging and I can't do that, but I have to share this one post  I ran across one where a young lady stated, "People are always (yes she had the nerve to say ALWAYS) intimidated when they meet me, but after they get to know me they always tell me how cool and goofy I am."

I have had to leave a few groups, because it gets tiring...I am sure I am not missed. Still, I am in search of a truly supportive group. One where people give each other "High Fives" and "Right Ons!".....does such a group exist?

Don't get me wrong...you don't need to set up the "Bitter Party of One" table for me at the East By Yourself You Sorry Loner Cafe. I do enjoy hearing stories about someone running their first halfthon, or first 10k, or first Marathon. Those give me hope that I can do that one day too. We all know the difference between overcoming odds, doing something new, or just bragging for attention. 

It's gonna take me some time to rehab this knee. Anyone with runner's knee can tell you that it takes a few months to recover enough to truly run again, so my journey continues. I strive, with everything I have to do (teacher-student-mom), to get as much exercise each week as I can. I am in search of a support group online too. A group that encourages individuals who have obstacles to overcome and they just need a little boost. I love stories of triumph over adversity. Those are stories of true warriors, people I admire. It is admirable to be able to reach a goal and look back and say, "I did it yay for me!" That's encouragement. That is worth bragging rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment